Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Austin Eguavoen the fumbler

National U-23 coach, Austin Eguavoen who failed to pick a ticket for Nigeria at next year's Olympics has decided to throw in the towel and pick a job with any of the teams at the Nigeria Premier League.
Eguavoen, who apologised to Nigerians on behalf of his team's inability to qualify for the Olympic, however, begged Nigerians to forgive him for failing. He said he should be held responsible for failing after getting all the support from the federation. "My contract is tied to this tournament with a target of reaching at least the semi finals of the Olympics in London but I have failed in that target. I apologise to Nigerians, the Football Federation and especially the NFF president Aminu Maigari who did everything humanly possible to ensure we qualify. Right now, I would just take two months out and maybe return to the local league" he stated.
Members of Nigeria's Under 23 soccer team.
He said Nigerians should forgive him. "First of all, football gave me what I have today. I thank every Nigerian, I thank every journalist, the Football Federation for being there for me and giving me all the support needed for this tournament. We came into this tournament prepared. Losing Kingsley Udoh in the first game, just three minutes was a big blow. Our first half against Senegal was awful but we were in our best against a very technical Algeria but unfortunately we rose up to the occasion late.
I apologise to Nigerians for our disappointing outing. I had an option to come and not to but I had confidence in this team unfortunately it didn't turn out the way we wanted. I am deeply sorry."

No comments:

Post a Comment